The biggest difference between hollowfibre and microfibre is the structure. The fine fibres of microfibre allow minimal space between them, creating a tightly woven fabric. Whereas hollowfibre does have spaces between its fibres, which is how it received its name. This makes hollowfibre a lighter, more breathable fabric. Microfibre is warmer and better for Winter.
Keep reading to find a full comparison of the two materials, including similarities and differences, and our easy guide to which you should be investing in.
Also find the best products on the market, including pillows, duvets and mattress toppers.
Navigate through this article using by clicking on a heading in the contents:
- What is hollowfibre?
- What are the benefits of hollowfibre?
- What are the best hollowfibre products?
- What is microfibre?
- What are the benefits of microfibre?
- What are the best microfibre products?
- Microfibre vs Hollowfibre – What are the differences and similarities?
- Which is best for me?
What is Hollowfibre?
Its name gives a clue to the structure of hollowfibre.
In fact, it’s structure is where the materials name came from.
The hollow spaces between the fibres is what makes this material warm, cosy and breathable. It is a synthetic material that is made from polyester.
What are the benefits of hollowfibre?
There are many benefits to using hollowfibre. Here are the top reasons for it being so popular for bedding:
- Value for money – Hollowfibre is a very affordable material and its high quality makes it fantastic value for money.
- Maintenance – This material requires low maintenance as it is usually machine washable and easy to dry. It also doesn’t require as much fluffing and re-arranging as some feather and down products do.
- Lightweight – This is a lightweight material that is airy and won’t weigh you down.
- Breathable – The hollow spaces allow the fabric to breathe and won’t stifle you in the night.
What are the best hollowfibre products?
The Flame Retardant 100% Hollowfibre Pillow
Top Quality Hollowfibre Duvets
Hollowfibre Temperature Control Air Flow Mattress Topper
What is Microfibre?
Microfibre is made up of fine fibres which are tightly woven together, allowing no space between them.
This material is also synthetic and made up of 100% polyester.
Keep reading to find the differences between microfibre and hollowfibre.
What are the benefits of microfibre?
Microfibre has some similar benefits to hollowfibre. Here is why it’s such a great option for your bedding:
- Affordability – Although it is not typically as inexpensive as hollowfibre, it is still fantastic value for money.
- Maintenance – This is also a low maintenance product. All of our microfibre products are machine washable and easy to dry.
- Warmth – Because the fibres are so tightly woven together it will keep you nice and warm all through the night.
- Soft as down – The fine fibres of microfibre give a soft and silky feel. This makes it a great substitute for feather and down products.
What are the best microfibre products?
Soft as Down Microfibre Pillows
The All Seasons Microfibre Duvet
Microfibre vs Hollowfibre – What are the differences and similarities?
Both of these materials are affordable, low maintenance, warm and great options for your bedding. Here a few more similarities you will benefit from:
Anti-allergy – Some allergy sufferers are unable to use feather and down bedding because it causes a reaction. If this is something you struggle with, these synthetic materials are sure to give you a peaceful nights sleep.
Durable – Not only are these materials easy to wash and maintain, but they are also highly durable.
Soft – The ultra-fine fibres of microfibre and little hollow spaces in hollowfibre creates light, airy, fluffy and luxuriously soft fabrics.
Breathable – Don’t worry about being stifled in the night with these materials as they are light and breathable, whilst still providing excellent insulation.
When it comes to the differences, there aren’t many.
The main differences to note are:
- Structure – microfibre has a more tightly woven structure.
- Weight – hollowfibre is still a lightweight option, but when comparing the two it is slightly heavier in weight than microfibre.
- Feel – both are soft and cosy, but microfibre has a more silky and luxurious feel.
Which is best for me?
The most important question: which is the best material for me?
The truth is, it is completely down to personal preference.
If you are running an establishment such as a:
- Guest House
- Healthcare Institution
Then both materials will be a great option as they are cosy, warm and won’t cause problems for allergy sufferers.
If you would like a slightly more luxurious product that feels like feather and down, we would recommend microfibre.
If this is not what you are looking for and budget is the main focus, we would recommend hollowfibre.
Both can be bought in bulk for fantastic prices and are sure to keep your guests cosy and happy.
If you would like to find the perfect duvet for you establishment, you can find a full breakdown of the best duvet products on the market in our Ultimate Duvet Guide.